Deep down in my soul, I know that Worship of the Almighty Creator of the Universe isn't a production. This is certainly not what he had in mind, I'm sure of it. And yet, here I sit, putting together a flow sheet for us to follow on Sunday morning. A team meets to discuss what we plan to do, we trouble-shoot problem areas, sometimes we argue...about WORSHIP!!!!
I don't know what part I've played in this catastrophe, but I'm sure I'm a part of it simply based on the fact that I'm a sinner and I'm involved. Everything in me wants to just let the Holy Spirit do its thing on Sunday, and we show up and just respond to what God has been up to in each of our lives that week. I know that's what its supposed to be...honest praise for who He is.
But that isn't what America has in mind. We need to start out with a song that'll help us transition from "the world" to "worship time." Really? We need a song to do that. Are we really so undisciplined that we can't do that before we get to the building where we worship together? I guess standing around sipping gourmet coffee and eating calorie-laden treats is just too difficult an activity for us to stay focused on Jesus throughout.
I know, I know. I'm being cynical and sarcastic. I have such high hopes for worship each week, and yet...here I sit...preparing for the production. What would happen if we just showed up? What would it look like if we didn't plan...if we didn't have slides...if the instruments weren't plugged into a sound system...if the chairs weren't straight...if the coffee was cold? Would God show up, or would he shun us because we didn't have it all together?
No comments:
Post a Comment